Saturday, 11 September 2010

A Moment For Deep Thoughts

Today I'm writing about something ordinary and quite predictable. Can't guess what? Have a look at the date.

11th September 2010.

Nine years on from the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre.

I remember, all those years ago, coming home from school and both of my parents were sat around the telly staring in shock. I looked at the screen and saw a big American building with a whole load of smoke coming out of it. They then explained what had happened and I couldn't believe such a monstrosity was possible. I also remember a few years on, being on a school trip not far outside of London and hearing that there had been bombings in London. I went through the thought process of: "oh my god, will they bomb a huge tourist attraction near London? Seems kinda likely.." Obviously, I was safe but being older I had a much better understanding of things and seeing the front covers of newspapers for days, of a young man helping a lady who's face was covered or it was a half destroyed bus. 

The whole of Western society and had felt affects in some way..
So why? And why am I, who pays a shockingly poor attention to the news, writing about it?

The simple answer to the first question would involve pointing fingers at Al Qaeda. But then this brings us around to the second answer, I had been thinking about the way the Islamic faith is looked at in western society. I thought about a close friend who had been affected by Christian ideals. I thought about the violence that occurred in Ireland between Christians. I thought about History, and how funny it is that it has a habbit of repeating itself.  I thought about people who've said:
"I don't want anything to do with religion, it only causes wars and fighting."

But then I started to remember. Many years ago I was a devout member of the Church of England and it was an amazing feeling to be part of a community, to feel that I was always to be looked after by God. Religion did me a lot of good and kept me going.

It's a shame, that the whole image of a religion can be ruined by minorities isn't it? That's when I knew I would write Heaven's State. 

It's not an attack on religion. It's a criticism of certain people and says IF we allow ourselves as nations and countries to be closed minded this is what could happen. This works both ways, however, you could be a closed minded Christian or you could be someone who goes, "Oh, the Islamic faith caused 9/11, the whole religion must be evil." Topical example that people like this exist; Rev. Terry Jones. 

If I were to say a prayer today, I would pray for a future, where people are tolerant and respectful of others religions. Where people understand that some people think differently and you know what? If they're going to Hell, surely that's your God's decision, not yours. 

Today, I had a moments reflection. I wrote on a piece of paper "Religious Extremism" and set it alight in my garden. As I watched it burn, I spared a thought for the victims, of all  shape and form, of Religious extremism... I hope there is never another 9/11. I hope there is never another Reverend Terry Jones. People stopped burning "Witches" a long time ago, let's not take a step back, let's take a leap to a peaceful future.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment